Thursday, March 22, 2007

Relationships are like peanuts, only saltier

Well, I now am 21 years of age. Do you know what was happening 21 years ago when I was born? Neither do I, I was only 0 years old. However, since lying in a baby incubator March 21, 1986, plenty has happened. I won the spell-a-thon and got a sweet Super Nintendo, graduated high school, broke my elbow bombing down a huge hill in Breckenridge, fell in love with sweatpants then quit wearing them sometime during my freshman year and now am quite fond of them again, got a trespassing ticket with the boys and developed a deep appreciation for the frisbee in all of its various forms. Somewhere along the line I also made incredible friends who have proven to be the foundation for me as I have weaved my way through the highs and lows of this life. I owe most of who I am to the persistence and patient love of those closest to me, without whom I am not sure where or who I would be.

Salt has changed the landscape of civilization by eliminating dependency on seasonal foods. Wars have even been fought over it and economies have been controlled by it for thousands of years. Salt is something which preserves as well as adds flavor. For me, my relationships with you all have proven to be the salt in my life. They have provided the strength to persevere as well as added ‘flavor’ to the dish of life. You guys have shown me, more than that you have lived what it means to love unconditionally, taking Christ’s call to love one another seriously. For those of who have seen me through the dark times and celebrated with me in victories: Thank you. I owe more to you all than can be repaid but look forward to discovering more and more the intimacy of our relationships and the beauty of community.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Happy birthday, Eric!

I wish you all the best!

-- Karl