Monday, March 26, 2007

I Once Got a Trespassing Ticket for Climbing on Things

I was born with a bit of an explorer’s zeal for the things around me. At age 4, finding myself utterly discontented with the somewhat boring and already discovered kitchen, I decided to make my way down the stairs in my baby walker. Those of you who have been in my house (yes the same one, I’ve lived there all my life) know that the stairs are split into two flights; one of four steps and one of about ten. I began my two stage journey with vigor in my young heart. Having successfully negotiated my baby walker down the first four steps, managing to keep it upright, I thought to myself: Alas! I had discovered some new territory, but soon found myself equally unimpressed with the eight square foot landing as I had been with the kitchen. So I pushed onward, not realizing what was awaiting my arrival at the bottom of the stairs. A metal step ladder and a good amount of tears. I still carry the scar on the top of my forehead today.



Many adventures and heaps of bumps and bruises later I have discovered a new venue for me to express my investigative side. Rock climbing. Thanks largely to Chris and his willingness to ‘show me the ropes’ (pun intended) I have found that climbing rocks can be quite exciting and draws on adrenaline, adventure, determination and discovery—all good things.



Last weekend we fed this long-standing need to climb things and my new need for those things to be boulders at Castle Hill. It was a weekend full of grunting, finesse (and not so much for some of us), good problems, chalk, sunshine, ‘hangers’, Czechs, big dynos, tape and as usual; good company. Chris has posted a few pictures in addition to the ones I put on here if you want to check them out. Brianne also wrote about her new discovery of climbing if you would like to check her blog out as well, there are links to both of their blogs on the right column.



1 comment:

Mac said...

I am so frekin pumped to go climbing with you and chris!! This is a painful wait for me, but I will endure it, so our time together will produce many fruit.... and I wouldnt mind getting a trespassing ticket with you.
I love you Erik, hope we talk soon.