Tuesday, June 5, 2007

I Can't Believe This was 2 Weeks Ago

Tuesday, May 22nd:

Today would be Brianne’s last full day here. It is often hard not let the fact that someone is leaving affect the last moments that you have with them, but we did our best.

Brianne and I took a trip out to Sumner Beach, just 20 minutes east of Christchurch, and cruised along its coast on a nice fall day. Sumner beach is one of the most popular beaches in the summer time, but on this fall day we had a good portion of it to ourselves. From the beach we headed into the town of Sumner—a small town that is a cross between a beach bum town and a tourist center. We had New Zealand’s famous fish and chips and then continued up to the port hills.


We had intended to do a little bit of rock climbing, but on arrival a cold wind was blowing across the crag and we thought better. Instead, we went to New Brighton, another beach town, and had some coffee to warm up. Hanging out at the coffee shop was awesome, it was very nice to just chill after 10 days of strait traveling and activity.

After coffee we decided to hit up the local thrift store to see if any treasures awaited us. For me it was a pair of hot pink Nike running shorts which barely covered up and a white shirt with neon green collar and this on the pocket: For Brianne it was a ¾ length light brown silky coat with fur coated neck and arm holes to be worn with leggings and Ugg boots…We’ll just have to show you some time.

That night Brianne and I had decided to make dinner for my flatmates. We prepared white wine and garlic cream sauce mussels served over pasta with some amazing garlic bread and white wine to compliment. Yeah, I know what your thinking, sounds fancy. And besides the state of our kitchen and appliances, it was. It was a perfect way to celebrate Brianne’s time here and to have everyone together once more. We spent the rest of the evening laughing, telling stories, getting a little bit sick, getting better again and making the most of our few last hours together.

Wednesday, May 23rd:

Today was the day which we had been trying our best not to think about. We had succeeded for the most part and yet it still came. We grabbed coffee and breakfast together one last time and then shuffled down to the airport.


Goodbyes are never easy, and Brianne and I have had our fair share. A couple weeks prior Chris and I had been waiting for Brianne in the airport when Chris commented on just how much of our relationship has been in airports. I think that I have said goodbye to Brianne in airports some seven times in the last nine months and they don’t get much easier with practice.

This goodbye was particularly hard. It marked the end of something that I had been dreaming about ever since I knew I was coming abroad to New Zealand. It marked the end of a grand adventure. It marked the end of a time that we would never have back.

I feel like this has been the case with a lot of Brianne and mine’s time together. It is more than incredible but there is always that goodbye at the end. It is inevitable. There is no avoiding it or trying to make it easier. It has sort of become standard for us, for our relationship which has spanned countries and continents.

Still, I am learning to cling to hope rather than sink in disappointment. I am learning that as grand adventures end new ones begin. Perhaps not immediately, but as life moves forward we are provided more chances for adventure and these experiences create memories of their own.

Yes, it was hard to say goodbye. Really hard. But as hard as it was it can’t compare to the gratefulness I feel for having been giving an opportunity to spend those weeks together, nor can it compare to the excitement I have for the journey ahead.

2 comments:

Rachel L. said...

This post needs an attached photo of your thrift store finds. Immediately.

I have loved your recap of Brianne's time there. It was really great to read in detail what you guys did! Can't wait for you to get home. I mean that. Have fun with your bro and daddy, and Tom!

Brianne said...

The next outing to the airport you are coming home! I can't even wait...I will definitely be loving the airport on that day!