Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Consumption

Though I think it's a little early to be discussing Christmas seeing as we've not yet celebrated Thanksgiving I found this video to be poignant and challenging. 




I would argue that there is no question we've lost much of the importance in celebrating the birth of our Saviour. Actually, it's notable that much of the intended meaning was deluded from the onset when church fathers syncretized pagan holiday traditions with those of the emerging christian church in order to sway potential pagan converts. And now Christmas has met consumerism and the marriage between the two has all but snuffed out the original fire and passion behind our Saviors birth. 

Admittedly, Christmas' for me have grown increasingly complicated over the past few years and have become a chaotic and emotional mix of joys and sadnesses. However, the birth of  the entity which has persevered in my life even when things which seemed constant changed, fell apart and dissipated seems well worth getting excited for. This occasion marks a birth which nations waited millennia for and an event that was undoubtedly the most anticipated and is the most significant historical event to date. 

So, despite Christmas season hesitations and my own personal baggage I will celebrate and be consumed.

1 comment:

Chris Nicoletti said...

Solid my friend. I agree with you. I'll buy your burrito you buy mine and lets hang out...